This is one of my favorite appetizers from Miss Prêt à Manger (stay tuned ... post coming soon on Kimberly, a very talented caterer and restauranteur)
Feta & Melon by Kimberly
· ¼ large fresh watermelon, in cubes
· 60-80 grams per person of Bulgarian feta (double cream, available at Adonis or Fromagerie Atwater. You can also use greek feta.)
· 1 lime, zested (just the zest needed!)
· 3-4 sprigs of fresh mint, chiffonade the leaves for garnish
· a few twists of fresh pepper
· optional: bed of fresh spinach, celery, or raspberries
1. To make this bouchée, simply layer a slice of your favorite feta. I strongly recommend something creamy like a double cream feta over a flaky one, they tend to break better.
2. Use your feta as a size reference to cut the melon. Make sure that it’s flush on all sides.
3. Spread the mint leaves onto the feta. Keep the feta on the bottom once the toothpicks are in place (they need something strong to hold onto) then place the watermelon slice back on top.
4. Sprinkle the lime zest and some peppercorn flakes. Use pink peppercorns for added beauty!
5. Place your toothpicks into the watermelon, ideally the size you would like your bite to be. Try to make it as symmetrical as possible!
6. Cut between the toothpicks to create the perfect bite-size pieces.
7. Plate on a bed of celery salad, spinach, fresh raspberries or anything edible and beautiful... Garnish with additional mint or zest and enjoy!
Thank you Kim for the recipe :-) xx and Bon Appétit!
Photography by Patricia Brochu